Tuesday 1 November 2011

A quirky ventures off alone.....


A quirky ventures off “ alone”

I’ve been keeping very busy off and on for nearly two years now, making things for a quilts show, for a quilt group where I’m a regular visitor – regular every 2 years!

It all started when mum joined Walsall Patch & Quilt and got involved in helping them put on their bi-annual show.   It seemed like too much fun to miss out on… so I’ve been helping for about 6 years now, hanging quilts to get it all ready, serving teas and coffees, selling raffle tickets – you name it I’ve had a go.

I’ve also made some things for the sales table.  It would be fair to say I’ve gained a bit of a reputation for some scissor keepers I’ve adapted from some original kits and patterns I bought from Sue Hawkins.
Here are mine  -

  

Follow this link to Sue’s Website to treat yourself or see what else she gets up to…
(Have to confess Sue Hawkins kits have become a bit of a guilty pleasure for me - I often make sure I have just enough cash left in my purse at the end of a quilt show to be able to treat myself to one)

Back to this years show: This year, was the first year the group had held their exhibition at their new meeting venue, so many of the things that had been routine in creating their previous shows had to evolve to fit in the new venue. 

For instance, this time the quilts were hung on the main church rather than the adjoining hall, it has to be said they looked superb.




The advantage of having them hanging in every other pew is that they were a little bit protected but everyone who wanted to was still able to get in really close to see the detail…..


Who knew bow tie blocks could work so well….


And this one because pink & green is normally too ”girly” for my tastes …but this one is super….


But my overall favourite of the day –


Gotta find a reason to add a “bunting border to a quilt very soon


It wasn’t all about the big quilts – the church was a beautiful setting for lots of smaller projects too.



The crowds came and looked around (not sure the vicar had expected quite so many enthusiasts)


They parted with money in the raffle, the Chinese bag auction, at the sales table, with the traders and after some rather frantic counting


The quilters were able to hand over £1,000 to their chosen charity which will go a long way to helping Parkinsons sufferers and their families in the Walsall area.

Oh …. And all but one of my scissor keepers found a home to go to and I have requests for more…… so better stop typing now and get on.




No comments:

Post a Comment